Friday, December 30, 2011

4 years....WHAT?

Four years ago to the day I remember trying whatever I could to make my body feel what my mind had been thinking..... I had enough of being pregnant. I was ready to meet my baby boy! Well my body did not respond to what my mind was telling it and decided to hold off six more days to bless us with baby "numero dos." 
Prestyn was born 18 months after Degan so we still had somewhat of an idea of what to expect with a new baby.  Little did we know that two years later we would learn the gift the Lord brought to us in Prestyn, would need just a little different care, different love and different attention then we were used too. Prestyn has brought a whole new meaning to my life and without him or his brothers I would not be the mom I am today. On January 5th we will celebrate two milestones. Most importantly it will be Prestyn's 4th birthday. Second, it will be two years since we began our journey down "Autism Street." Both of which are joyous occasions. That start on "Autism Street" was a happy time, it was bumpy at first and needs some patches today, but for the most part nothing has stopped us from making our way.  If we had not listened to our pediatrician two-years ago I would be writing in a different tune.  From that day we have been building our road and would soon realize it was already be equipped with  many speed bumps, bumpy roads, stop and yield signs, and the red and green lights. It was our job to pave the road.  There were also a few neighbors that welcomed us, and we have been working very hard to work with those neighbors all while welcoming new ones.
I try not to let myself ask the question why to often. But when I saw this picture I couldn't help myself from asking, Why? Why is.....
Will we ever know the answer? Maybe, maybe not? Is it because there is more awareness and parents are paying close attention to those warning signs? Is it genetic? The environment? Vaccines?
Then it hits me, even though I may never know the answer I can look into my Prestyn's eyes and be thankful for what he has brought into my life. Do I really need to know the answer as to what has caused my son to be a little different then his peers? No, that's not really important. What is important is that we are doing our best to help him be the best that he can be. 
 Sometimes I just need to be reminded that the Lord doesn't give us more than we can handle. He believed in us and knew our potential as parents. Although initially we were not sure we could handle all that we were going to be presented with, we have learned a lot about ourselves and our abilities. 

 So, happy early birthday to my Prestyn! Thank you for teaching mommy and daddy something new everyday. We did now know what we were in for 4 years ago, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. One day we hope you understand why you cannot eat pizza or "cookie animals" or drink "leche," one day son, you will know why you were in school before you could even talk and riding that yellow bus that you love so much!  Thank you for all the joy you bring into our lives, you amaze us with your abilities and we know you are going to "BE THE BEST PRESTYN THAT YOU CAN BE."  You are amazing and will do great things. Why? Because God made you, happy birthday!

Love,
 Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment