Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I've Got My Eye on You Boy

It seems that with each child time goes faster and faster. With what seems like a blink of an eye, Cruz is almost 15 months!!
I have not decided if it is a good or a bad thing but I have been on Cruz like you would not believe. Almost obsessing over when and what he was doing, behaviors, he may be exhibiting, etc.  I think I have every reason to be that way.  There are so many things that Cruz is doing that Prestyn did not do at this age. Prestyn was not walking yet, babbling or making eye contact. But still, studies have suggested that 18 months is the best age to best determine if a child could have autism. The chances are there. He is a younger sibling to a child on the spectrum and he is a BOY. The last statistic I read I think said if the child has an older sibling on the spectrum and a boy thier chances sit at 20%. To you that may not seem very high, but to me it is. I like to think we are good and each day gives me reassurance that we are only going to blessed with one child on the spectrum. Don't get me wrong, if it turns out different I will love Cruz no less and we would be up for the challenge!
 Just to make sure I am not alone in my worrying I ask other parents who have a child on the spectrum and and a younger child if they worry as well? The majority do and I have been told this is pretty normal; and to give me even more reassurance, lasts night episode of Parenthood dealt with this very issue!
In other Cruz news:
In the last couple weeks Cruz has began to sign to us! We never pushed the issue, just had Baby Einstein First Signs on in his room anytime he was in there!! He will sign more, milk, please, and use your chin to sign thank you, and we are working on food! This makes things a little easier then having him pout scream until he gets what he needs. It is really so cute and he gets a kick out of it!! He is also becoming extremely tough as he falls victim to an unusually mean Prestyn. We have to keep a very close eye on them when they are in the same room, because for whatever reason Prestyn is very mean to him or any child that is smaller then him. We are going to be taking Cruz into therapy with Prestyn so we can get some help on what may be triggering this behavior. I think Cruz may also need therapy since the poor baby has been pushed down, pinched, kicked and bitten. It is also very difficult with Prestyn because they have told us the best way to punish him is by positive discipline. Yeah, that's not working, but then again neither is time-out, a nice paddle with a wooden spoon, or getting upset with him. I am open to any suggestions!!
He loves to EAT!! Lately he has become pretty picky and will let you know what he doesn't want by flicking it on the floor. He still has his baby fat and I'm loving it! Those rolls on his legs are just so irresistible!!

No comments:

Post a Comment