In one of my previous posts I mentioned that there is never a dull moment in our house, not even when we should all be sleeping. Well I cannot help but write about sleep now since it seems to be the thing that we get the least of.
Degan and Prestyn both started sleeping through the night at about 3 months, this was so nice, no middle of the night feedings, no trying to make a bottle half asleep, just straight 8 hours of drool on the pillow and waking up feeling nice and rested.
A couple years passed and it was time to take Prestyn out of his crib. I must say, had he not figured how to jump out he might still be in one! Prior to Cruz being born and being in his new "big boy bed" Prestyn would become increasingly more difficult to put to bed. We could lay him down at 8 and if we were lucky he would be asleep by 11. Then be up throughout the night. Later after doing some research, we found out it is not uncommon for children with autism to have sleep disturbances throughout the night. With the help and advice from other parents with autistic children and some research we were able to get a handle on some of the problem naturally. The solution could not have come at a better time, because Prestyn would be starting school and need to be well rested.
Cruz came along just as we figured out how to get Prestyn to sleep better and have less disturbances at night. Just like any other newborn with the exception of a few he was up eating every three hours. As the months went on this time would slowly increase. We are now up to one feeding at night. Now you cannot look at him and tell me that he HAS to have his night time feeding, however if you are in our home between 2 and 4 when he wakes up you could not tell. He cries as if he is starving and not been feed in days. We even have to wait to burp him until he has guzzled down 6 oz or he gets very angry. And if you try and change his diaper before he has finished his bottle, you have an even angrier baby.
Im not sure I can do the cry it out method, but if I have a night like we did a few nights ago that may be the only option. This was by far one of the worst nights! We typically like for Degan and Prestyn to be in bed lights out at 9, actually falling asleep, well that brings me to this:
Last Tuesday we put them to bed usual time, and we were so exhausted we went to bed at the same time. Before I could even rest my head on my pillow Prestyn comes into the room, the first of many attempts to sneak into bed with us. This would not be an issue, however he moves so much and I always wake up with a sore neck or back from having to sleep in positions I did not think were possible. Finally at 11 he falls asleep, on the couch, fine. I position the cushions just in case he rolls off he will not hurt himself! Degan wakes up at 1:30 to pee and somehow wakes up Prestyn, could be that he has to turn on every light from his room to the bathroom. Now 2 of the 3 are awake, well and me. I wake up to sippy cups in my face that are begging to be filled. I trick them and give them water. I figure I may as well change Prestyns diaper, (yes he is going to be 3 and potty training so far has been unsuccessful). We know this is going to be a struggle, but we hope that one day he will wake up and decide he doesn't like a diaper (fingers and toes crossed). 1:45 I'm back in bed trying not to wake Amos who has work the next day. 2:00 we have a visitor in our bed, Prestyn, so instead of pleading with him to go to his bed, I move over and let him join us. We both toss and turn and struggle to get back to sleep. 2:15 Prestyn passes out and I follow, wouldn't you know.... 5 minutes later, Cruz starts waking up. I jump out of bed to get a bottle ready before he lets out his loud cry, and wakes Prestyn! 3:00 Cruz is done eating, diaper changed, burped and now I am wide awake. GREAT! I lay in bed but cannot fall asleep, check my phone it is now 3:30. Well my pop always tells me that if you cannot sleep you should pray the rosary, that will always put you to sleep. I thought I would give it a shot, sure enough I don't know how far I got and I was snoring. 6:30 Prestyn wakes up and is ready to start his day, "momma wake up." He then proceeds to try and open my eyelid and play with my nose, well guess I better get up because soon I know Degan will follow and then Cruz.
On days like this, I think to myself I can take a nap with Cruz in a couple hours and while Prestyn is at school, but then I remember there is laundry to be done, floors to be cleaned and homework that cannot wait. So, I settle for a cup or two of coffee and suck it up!
Amos and I have learned to operate on very little sleep, thank goodness for energy drinks and coffee! I love my boys to death and would not trade them for anything. I am thankful we had them when we did, while energy is still our friend.
8 hours of UNINTERRUPTED sleep............
.............last night my parents kept all 3 boys for the night! Amos and I joked that not even a year and a half ago when my parents would keep Degan and Prestyn we would go grab a couple drinks and hang out with our friends. Well last night we could not get home fast enough and no not because we were eager to get ready for a night on the town, but for our heads to hit the pillow knowing we were going to have a full 8 hours of sleep with no interruptions. It was nice yes, but to be quite honest I missed my Cruzie babies kisses and smiles he offers after his mid-night feeding, and the affection Prestyn shows when he wants to sleep with momma and dadda!
I am in no way complaining, I love my life and my family!
Sarah-
ReplyDeleteI'm loving reading all of your blog posts- you better keep them coming! Maybe when you're up at 2:30 am you can squeeze a post or two in- just kidding. I ADMIRE you as a parent! You are doing an amazing job and those three little boys are so incredibly lucky to have a mom like you!!